Monday, March 4, 2019

FROM THE PLACE CALLED AGING

I have noticed a diminished capacity of sorts. My capacity to not look backwards at the--I dunno--the rough spots and hard memories has been eroded and I have spent months doing nothing. Not doing nothing in a sit frozen trying to stop time from moving back or fore; I ain't that good, but no writing, little thinking no curiosity over whether I have spent my time in the ways most beneficial.

I should have answered the queries that came but I simply had nothing to say. A thank you probably would have sufficed and I am sorry for not even that reply. But I am not dead yet, at least so I have convinced myself. So with the lack of interest in writing new work when I have a ton of shit, years worth, in need of editing I am presenting this old/new edit piece. I will hopefully find this a fulfilling endeavor worthy of my friends time.

I love you and Thank you.


THE UNWANTED CHILDREN OF GOD

In the camp where the unwanted children of God
live they stay in tents under the plastic sheets
sealed using that fix all—duct tape.
Keeping dry and eating food
they found,
bought with saved coins
or on occasion
took using the coupon of
a finger tip discount.

We, those of us
with a house and bank account
that daily is victimized
by bank rates
equal to financial rape
look at them
and see freaks and fools
with no sense of values
or ambition other than to get to the next place
where there is a bit of warmth,
human or fire made.
Either works equally well.

They look at us and see us as we are.
We are behemoth battle ships,
before we were born
we were out dated
our usefulness as cannon fodder
soon replaced
for a new world gone crazy
for remote control war.

Now we are coated in peeling paint
and rusting where the welds once held.
Tied side by side in graveyard ports
there is no more call to sail hard
except to war against another
that is forced to stay motionlessness
at our side because of the
moorings of rope
of family and possessions
and the hope of the possibility
for wealth we are unable to leave behind.

The unwanted children of God
I think
are those who do not refuse
to wear their feet out
looking for freedom
or ways to loose the mooring ropes.

Them who are
pierced,
tattooed,
dreadlocked
and wandering on back roads unpaved
towards a future they have not decided yet.

It is them,
them—who are the ones
God covets above all others
for they at least try to find that spirit in a leaf,
with companions free to come and go
on an open road, headed somewhere away.
Anywhere away from the foolish ideas
that once meant a kind of freedom and comforting:
but now are a torture to the bound.
and are nothing more than a reminding
of how we too were once called
the unwanted children of God.

© M Durfee
10/12/11
®3/4/19

10 comments:

  1. Thank you, friend Mark … I love you too. Always, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, WM-- I am glad to read anything you are writing...
    I had a fallow many months... no energy for anything except healing, but am on the mend. Looking forward to working at a different pace and noticing different things...
    I hope to be reading your creative expressions in any form they may take. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased H that you are mending. I think that is the lesson we need hear--set your own pace. Back at you with the hugs and be well.

      Delete
  3. I can breathe easier knowing you are still breathing.

    Seems like every generation before ours did what we did and what the future generations will do. Does that mean humans aren't making much progress?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Jean thanks for your concern. If my health were to totally collapse into the sweet bye and by my wife has the passwords and knows to let the blogosphere know. BUT I ain't anywhere near there yet--just slowing down, losing inspiration in this age of whaddafuck is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a stirring poem, specially the last stanza. I am feeling my age too lately, smiles. Good to see you posting your stuff. I was wondering where you were....

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are exhausting times...and I am ever in awe of those who do wear their feet out to seek something better. I feel like I can never do enough. But I must do something....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Mark,
    I am a voice from long ago who is also not dead yet.
    So glad to see I’m not the only old blogger holding old gems up to the light to see if they still shine.
    Thus one was a beauty!
    Tom K, Patterns of Ink

    ReplyDelete

So Walking Man I was thinking...