Sunday, November 5, 2017

I AM FREE WHEN MY SIDE OF THE PLANET IS DARK



BEFORE THE DAWN

The night’s darkness frees men from the near overwhelming sadness the day creates. Some sleep through that freedom but others are awake to the freshness of another day beginning; there is quiet peace touching them. Silence, no feeling worldly confusion. I touch every night and know calmness, peace, faith again. It is my daily devotion.

© M Durfee
11/5/17


I know this is a couple of days behind the usual 55 word post, and it was only laziness that held me up. But I woke up and saw I had an extra hour…Anyway we do this as a lasting tribute to Mr. Galen Haynes, who began this kick ass expression of thought, either in prose or poetry, years ago. If you do decide to do a 55 link your expression to Verse Escape where Joy will see that you are connected to others who have something to say in 55 words exactly.

11 comments:

  1. I find that those moments in the morning while it is still night, but much too late for the drunks / and night creatures to be stumbling home or making too much noise, and too early for the rush of cars off to work --- that last hour before the sun comes up. That one is my favorite. And yeah, its like a devotion.

    How are you, WM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title here, and I can feel the peace you evoke very clearly--when we lay down the reins of all the wild horses that pull us every which way by daylight, and simply exist like any other simple creature, in the space the night gives us. For many years I went to work before dawn, and that time of clarity never failed to be a resource and a balm. Thanks for playing, Mark, and I hope all of the weekend preceding this was as kickass as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in autumn, it is evening that brings on the melancholy for me. Mornings seem promising. but the days pass too fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes... I really get this. The night gives to the day, gives faith if you will, or spirit, or energy, or something. Here it's going to be dark by dinnertime today, so may as well embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worked an extra hour this change over DST time ... means I got paid 1 hour paid overtime ... which is nice ... as me knows where I am walking through the snow in daylight for once again ... Come, let's get an ice-cream cone at the corner of 51st Ave, meouwpoppa, and then settle for a snooze by the fire place, hmmm? ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the freedom offered by the quiet of darkness, the way it can nudge us (if we allow it) towards introspection... This is the kind of faith I would not mind embracing. Mostly, because I already do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too belong to the night. Most at peace and creative when the world slubers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a koan, even, a sense of tranquility I seek

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet! Don't wake up yesterday if you can go back in -- there'll be a slaughter in Texas after sunrise. Better to stay free in the night from the daytime fright.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to remember, early morning and at night, the good deeds and peace in my heart ~ Good for my mental health, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete

So Walking Man I was thinking...