Saturday, December 21, 2013

WATCH OUT BELOW!



PERILOUS LACK OF KNOWING MY ME
Knocked from my porch pedestal again.
Fuck it, what’s another chip in my alabastard skin.
I can always stand myself up
but getting back on that damn pedestal…
was never a place I wanted to be,
who put me up there anyway?
Oh the fleeting look at fame’s fortune.
Yes that was it, then it felt deserved.
I always cringe as I crawl back up there
to find myself rocking it as I search
sealed pockets for something,
a cigarette, a lighter,
a new life for my heart of stone.
Then as soon as I know it—reality crashes in again
and there’s another broken piece
of me laying unattached to the solidity of I.
Much better if I am pedestaled
to be stasis, motionless, instead of
one of those fidgety creatures of creation
that is ugly enough to be beautiful
I should try to be more grounded
and not play on pedestals (anymore).

© M Durfee
12.21.2013

8 comments:

  1. What was often thought, but here better expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many good words and phrases winding up beautifully. Even your harsh ideas are welcome in their stark truth and soul and art.

    I continue to dig your acquaintance uniquely. Twin? Teacher? Antidote? Antihero?

    Whatevers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your perspective Mark ~ It is fleeting as fame's fortune and the if you are grounded at least the fall isn't so great and painful ~ Happy Holidays ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to stay on one's pedestal while dancing ... smiles ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha. pedestals are not a place i usually like to hang out any way...they are perilous perches...and i know few that dont fall from them...a porch isnt so high though...fames over rated any way....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like pedestals and feel damn uncomfortable on any where I was placed with high expectations. I just prefer the background and a porch seems like a fine place to fade into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, what goes up must come down. I aim for the middle, and if I fall the fall is not so far. xo

    ReplyDelete

So Walking Man I was thinking...